Just a small update so everyone knows I'm still doing this :)
Not a lot to report over the past two weeks: it's still relatively dark in the mornings before I go to work and very dark when I get home so it's rare that I see birds in the garden during the week. I've been seeing my dunnock quite often, usually as he flies off because I've disturbed him when I take food out.
I still get 30-50 starlings some mornings but whenever the boiler kicks in they scarper. But the food on the lawn goes and it's mainly those that eat that. I have a 6 port seed feeder now for the sparrows as the two 2 ports weren't enough, but the sparrows have deserted me lately. Those feeders now have sunflower (away from the fat balls that often have squabbling starlings) and suet pellets.
The sunflower hearts and peanuts I put in the trays still goes, and I've seen up to 7 collared doves (like this morning) at them. I've stopped putting the wild bird food out in them as it's mostly left.
Last Sunday I had 2 coal tits interested in the seeds in those 2 feeders but either they didn't like it or weren't all that hungry. They both flew off pretty much together before I was able to get a photo.
I haven't had a wood pigeon for a while either - and the general lack of birds is being put down to all the berries in woods and other gardens. I have none and next year I'll have to get a berry bearing plant. However I've been told to be patient as the birds will be back, and maybe new ones as well, especially when winter strikes and food is scarce in the wild.
Tomorrow I'm not planning on doing much apart from keeping an eye on the garden.
A farewell .... with a lifetime of happy memories
-
On 25 November 2024, I had a lovely sunlit wander at Claremont Gardens,
with my very special friend Isa. What we didn't know at that time was, and
th...
5 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment