Sunday, 31 May 2009

Another new bird

Sadly no photo of my new visitor. I only had time to put down my breakfast before he flew off but there was a male bullfinch on the fence, looking glorious in the early morning sun.

On Thursday evening I decided to eat outside but had my Fuji with me to catch this blue tit. I have no idea if it was one very busy bird or a couple in tandem but there was one in and out very quickly. I've had to resize this photo to get it to fit on my monitor.

Starling numbers have increased thanks to all the young, which are starting to outnumber the adults (at this precise moment there are 16 young and one adult out there). I still have some demanding to be fed. This photo also had to be resized. The young starlings will often come down to feed when I'm outside on the garden, as long as I'm fairly still.

On Thursday I was fortunate to spot this male greenfinch and even more fortunate not to scare him off before getting some photos. And I finally managed to get a half decent photo of the magpie showing colours. This one looks like its collecting food and I'm glad I haven't seen one with a chick yet.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the Bullfinch, I had one fleeting glimpse of one a few months back, such a thrill to see a 'new bird'. Lovely photos too Steve.

    I have a fat ball feeder like that which was almost empty and I found a juvenile Starling trapped inside it yesterday! You know how big they are and how narrow the feeder is, I just wouldn't have thought it possible if I hadn't seen it! Eventually my husband managed to free it with some small wire cutters, it seemed ok and hopped behind a large shrub and was nowhere to be seen later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jan. When I went out around Noon there were at least 3 fatballs in that feeder but it's empty now. But then all the food in the trays has gone apart from the dregs that the wood pigeons and collared doves will take in the morning before I get up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. well done witht bullfinch ~Steve another landmark for you.....great photos but Magpies are off my christmas list for ever,trying to get into nestbox after the greattit chicks grrrrrr
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. great photos steve, especially like the one of the bluetit, so much detail.

    denis

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Sheila, pity I didn't get a photo though.

    Thanks, Denis, the difference being outside with x18 zoom :) I was only about 10 feet from it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some great visitors and some great shots there Steve, we have the "Maggies" and their babies but luckily they don't appear to be causing as much trouble as Sheila's gang are!!!!
    Jayne

    ReplyDelete