Saturday, 7 February 2009

Snow!

It snowed the night of my last post and the snow is still here, helped by a heavy fall on Thursday morning. I've started keeping a diary to make it easier to remember what birds have been visiting. For instance I know that I've had a robin on 4 or 5 of the days since last Sunday, and I've had goldfinches 3 times.

First new photo is of a wren. It appeared, on Wednesday, at the north-west of the garden on the fence, and for the first time came down to the garden. Then it hopped down off the wood and down the left side of the lawn. Flying over to the opposite fence I lost sight of it and went back to preparing the bird food. Suddenly I noticed it on the path near the steps and managed to get a photo in the gloom. A wren appeared again today but didn't come down off the fence.

Thursday morning saw the heavy snow and there were already blackbirds on the garden when I got up. In fact I was surprised to see one on the bird table pecking at some apple. Was very dark so the photo is not the best. I counted 8 blackbirds in all with Edmund and Queenie trying to decide between defending their territory or eating.

One picture I wanted to get was a robin in the snow. I also commented on my forum that I'd never seen more than 1 robin. Thursday I managed the former, and today I was fortunate enough to get 2 robins. One chased the other off a few times and there's been one here on and off all day.

Today there was a female blackbird, not Queenie, that stayed in the hedge a long time. She seemed to be feeding a lot so I'm guessing she found some insects in there. Every so often she would fly down to feed. Eventually Queenie spotted her and chased her off.

I've had goldfinches quite regularly now and today noticed how much mess they make with the black specks under the nyger seed feeder. Today I had 3 goldfinches, 1 stayed a long time after the other 2 left. And later in the day 2 returned and 1 on its own on 2 occassions.

I have 1 or 2 blue tits quite regularly now and 1 always heads for this little hanging house feeder. I've been trying to get a photo of it several times but it's always too quick. Today I managed to get a few by being ready with the camera - and today was rewarded with getting both at once.

And finally some starling photos. I've also had the usual house sparrows, wood pigeons and collared doves.

2 comments:

  1. Great photos steve.I love the blue tits on your little house feeder.When they do come to my garden its always on the nuts or fatballs.Robins are lovely too
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sheila. I'm really pleased with the blue tits. I put crushed nuts on there, among other things just because I'd seen a blue tit go there a few times.

    ReplyDelete