Sunday, 22 February 2009

Another quiet week

This week saw the return of a dunnock that I've seen on 3 of the last 4 days. The robin has also been around as well as the usual house sparrows, starlings, blackbirds, wood pigeons and collared doves. Today 2 birds flew over the house and garden to a tree that's about 150 feet away. I could tell they weren't sparrows from the way they were flying and binoculars showed they were goldfinches. I guess they didn't know about my food.

Later the birds in the garden flew off in a panic but I didn't spot anything untoward. However as I looked I saw a flock of 10 small birds fly into the same tree. I can't guarantee that these are all goldfinches but some definitely are.

Two goldfinches came to feed while the garden was quite busy with 5 other species all at the same time. After a couple of minutes something panicked all the birds again. No cat so I wonder if there's a bird of prey in the area.

5 comments:

  1. great to have you posting again Steve.Next time maybe all those goldies will land in your garden
    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish, Sheila :)

    Though it would mean having to get a bigger feeder for them, and the last time I went for a bigger feeder it turned out to be a waste of money (for now).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Steve,
    Great blog, very interesting.

    I find since I have been feeding sunflower hearts the Goldfinches visit in large numbers but they drop as much as they eat so I am trying them on kibbled sunflower hearts at the moment, so far they are still visiting as much but not making so much mess.

    We started getting visits from a Sparrow Hawk late last Summer and now when it goes quiet in the garden It usually means it is around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Jan. At the moment the sunflower doesn't go down all that fast from the feeders as I've only seen goldfinches there every so often, and any that does get spilled seems to be eaten by other birds anyway.

    I also put sunflower hearts in the trays so the sparrows that used to go to the feeders have an alternate source.

    ReplyDelete
  5. some great photos on your blog steve, i have the same problem of shooting through the double glazing, but looking at your shots doesn't seem to detract much at all, always a lot more clear when sun is shining, (wont be long).
    denis

    ReplyDelete