It was a standard morning of late, quite a few sparrows and starlings, a dove or two. It's pretty much all I seem to be getting nowadays. I did the stuff I had to do before work and was thinking about an end of year blog - "the highlight of the year" - which would have to be the whitethroat. I went into the kitchen and as I picked up my keys I glanced out the window. What, at first glance, I assumed was a house sparrow on the fat ball feeder was anything but. It took a couple of seconds to sink in that it was actually a goldfinch, a juvenile. I rushed into the living room to take a few photos - 55 in all from both rooms and ended up late for work. It was worth it.
The first picture shows the view from the kitchen and why I thought it was on the fat balls. The thistle feeder has been there for 40 days without a visit. The second photo is the view from the living room.

It hopped over to the sunflower hearts for a while, then back to the nyjer seed and again back to the sunflower. It held onto the sunflower feeder much more ably than my sparrows do.

I have no idea how long it had been there and it was still feeding 10 minutes later when I went to work. I guess it was hungry.
No comments:
Post a Comment