Saturday, 4 October 2008

Dunnock

Yesterday I was doing my pack-up for work when I spotted two birds fly down to the garden. I'd just put the day's food out so assumed they were house sparrows. But they didn't go to where I scatter food and they always do. As always in these circumstances I went for my camera for a better look, one had flown off but I managed to catch the other one. The photo on the left isn't the best as it was still a little gloomy, taken at 1/25 sec f5.6 and ISO 800.

Today I could hear a bird making a seep seep seep sound, even through the double glazing and over the noise of the computer fan. I went outside to try and record it on my mobile to ask my bird forum friends, and managed to track it to the hedge at the top of the garden. Whatever it was I managed to scare off before I saw it. And the recording didn't pick anything up. Back inside I looked on the RSPB site and the nearest I could get was the dunnock, at the end of the track they have, and I heard it again. I could see a bird in the hedge but it was partially hidden. My camera on zoom made me think it was a house sparrow anyway, confirmed when it flew down and was joined by others. But then I spotted a bird that didn't hop like a house sparrow - the dunnock was back (the bird on the left along with two house sparrows) and has been spotted several times today.

No comments:

Post a Comment