Today two goldfinches fed at the top sunflower hearts feeder. That was put there for when the greedy starlings, doves and pigeons didn't leave enough food for the house sparrows and it's the first time I've seen goldfinches there - they eat sunflower but normally at the hanger near the house, when there isn't room at the niger feeder. The second photo is rather poor but I managed to get a goldie just as it took off from next door's leylandii yesterday.

Starlings enjoying a drink - I don't often see birds drinking or bathing.

And a video of those messy goldfinches (I need a tripod).

Hi Steve,
ReplyDeleteVery nice post. I rather like the pic of the Goldfinch taking off. Funny you should mention a tripod that's exactly what I need.
great pics Steve.Is that a blackbird drinking with the starlings?seem to be able to see a yellow beak
ReplyDeleteSheila
Thanks for the comments. Definitely a starling, Sheila. They do have yellow beaks in summer so I guess they're just starting to change. One thing that struck me the other day was how black their eyes are.
ReplyDeleteJust look at that Sturkling shouting his head off, glad to be catching up with the blogs again, this is becoming a full time but enjoyable job lol
ReplyDeleteJayne
I've got back into enjoying it again after a recent lull. More gratuitous photos to come.
ReplyDelete