The goldfinches were back again and, yes ShySongbird, they do lift the spirits. I think a lot of it is the fact that they seem to hang around a long time whereas the blue tit is in and out very quickly (see below as one takes a peanut). And they are more exotic looking than any other bird I get. Then there's the fact that I would never have dreamed of getting them in my garden as I thought they were only seen in rural areas.
Today they were soon at the nyger seed, and I tried to take a photo from outside but as soon as they spotted me poking my head round the side of the house they were gone. They returned later to the hedge and came back for more nyger.

I also had two dunnocks. I've had two before but one would always chase the other off immediately, but this time they both fed off the garden. Maybe a pair. They weren't close enough together to get a photo though. After one had gone the other was seen in the leylandii. At first I thought there was something up with this sparrow-like bird as it seemed to be holding its wing awkwardly, but then I remembered what one of my bird forum friends had said about dunnocks and I realised it was just displaying: waving one wing.

more great photos Steve.Isnt it addictive this birdwatching.I also saw some dunnocks doing their thing with the wings.Learning something everyday.
ReplyDeleteSheila
Very addictive and a nice way to spend half an hour or so before heading off to work. And the goldies were back again this morning.
ReplyDeleteI haven't seen the Dunnocks doing their wingy thing yet Steve but ours do seem very very shy!!! They fly off as soon as they catch sight of a human (or dog)lol
ReplyDeleteJayne
Mine are quite shy but they don't skulk about - but there's not many places to skulk around in my garden just yet :)
ReplyDelete