This morning it was damp and misty, and I don't know if that was why there seemed to be a lot of house sparrows on the garden. I do get them but before work they mostly stay in the hedge. I also noticed more males than females - maybe the females were on the nest? or maybe I was just being observant and it's always like that. The only goldfinch I saw was in that tree but when I fed the birds I also made sure the nyger feeder was clean of cast off seed/husks and the seed was level.
When I came home from work sparrows were at the seed feeder but I noticed the trays were empty - even of the stuff that normally gets left. I don't know if it was busier than normal or just overrun with wood pigeons and collared doves. I checked the nyger and it had been used so the goldfinches are still here.
As soon as I got back indoors I spotted what I first thought was an oversized sparrow. I quickly worked out it was a greenfinch, my only other one since last July, but this was a female. I carefully went to the living room to take some photos as it had some sunflower hearts. It then flew to the ground but was behind a mound of soil. And it was then I noticed the camera setting meaning I was taking photos at too fast a shutter speed so they were too dark. Ironic that when I last saw a greenfinch I had the camera set at shutter priority and it was too slow. The one on the left has been enhanced a fair bit and is the best of the ones on the sunflower hearts. The one on the right has been altered a little.

another to add to your list Steve.Well done
ReplyDeleteSheila
Thanks, Sheila. 20 different birds in the garden, if you can count the sparrowhawk on the fence, in less than a year. Who'd have thought it. I certainly didn't expect this when I first put peanuts out last May.
ReplyDeleteI don't know why I have only just spotted this post, probably the same reason I called a Great Tit a Blue Tit!!! Too much late night blogging!
ReplyDeleteThe Wood Pigeons and Collared Doves are a greedy lot aren't they? It's a good job they can't get on the hanging feeders!
Well done on the Greenfinch, it is Sparrows which seem in short supply in our garden, we used to be overrun with them.
Thanks, Jan. I don't get loads of sparrows at the moment but was getting upwards of 40 last Autumn. I'm expecting similar numbers this year though with all the babies.
ReplyDelete