Sunday, 8 March 2009

Weekend update

I won't get much birdwatching done today as I've been sorting out more photos and will be busy in the garden this afternoon shifting soil (hopefully). Since my last post I've been lucky enough to see goldfinches every day. You can't have too many goldie photos. I've also had one or two dunnocks every day so here's hoping for fledglings in the future.

There seems to be just 3 blackbirds around now, what is almost certain to be a pair and a lone male. Poor thing gets chased off all the time - it was amusing to see Edmund (assuming it is still him) chasing the youngster across the wood as he jumped onto the tray to grab a piece of cheese. Yesterday I captured Queenie chasing the kid off the fence - he isn't allowed to settle anywhere. Both Edmund and Queenie have a go at starlings if they get too close as well.

Yesterday I spotted a buzzard circling as it drifted over the garden and house, and then I noticed two more further to the north. These were joined by a third but I don't know if this was the first one rejoining, but I suspect so. All three then drifted over to the north but I wasn't able to get a decent photo. The one on the left has been enhanced whereas the one on the right shows the sky nearer to what it actually was.

Yesterday was a nice day so I was able to have the windows open to listen to the birds and managed to take some photos without having to worry about the glass. A couple of starling photos to finish.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,
    Very interesting post and lovely photos, like you say you can never have too many Goldfinches. That Starling at the end was posing nicely for you!

    Hope you get your gardening done, no chance of that here we have high winds and lashing rain at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ShySongbird, I'm trying to improve the photography all the time. It helps when they sit still in the bright sunshine.

    Unfortunately the rain came almost as soon as I'd posted so nothing will get done today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great shots of your "regulars" the goldies Steve and your sweet little dunnocks.Never seen a buzzard in our neck of the woods lovely photos.
    sheila

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sheila. I'm quite pleased with the buzzard when compared to the photo I took last September. The dunnocks seem quite bold, well one at least, always feeding in the open.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great photos, it seems that 3s a crowd, the buzzard shot i bet was tricky.

    denis

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Denzil. It was surprisingly easy, they were circling slowly and one came right over the house and the auto focus got it easily.

    ReplyDelete