After she went I was on the computer, looking outside every so often, and saw a small bird up near the silver birch. The sparrows never go there now and last night I'd put sultanas and dried mealworms there. I grabbed my camera and took a few photos. My first thought was that it was a dunnock, but after zooming in I wasn't so sure.

The bird came back several times during the day. Later photographs made me wonder. One very blurry photo suggested a very light breast and I asked for help on my bird forum but everyone was away (I am off work). It was back around 4:30 but still very elusive. I was trying manual settings on the camera.

And at 5 PM it flew into the neighbour's leylandii singing away. Unfortunately I couldn't hear it but I must have taken 50 photos.

It's agreed on the forum that it's a whitethroat, maybe a lesser whitethroat but I think I need a better photo to confirm which. It's the first time I've knowingly seen a warbler anywhere, never mind the garden.
Not to be outdone my wren came back as well but I didn't see it go down to feed despite having a look. Here it is keeping an eye on the much bigger sparrows

No comments:
Post a Comment